We had more than 70 people join the DTLA Show And Tell to jump across the tech spectrum, learning about topics like animated infographics, working with Github, Amazon Web Services Deployment, and more.
Huge thanks to our incredible presenters, who gave 5-7 guided tutorials on concepts and tips associated with their day-to-day work.
Special thanks and high-fives to to Indie Desk for providing the space as venue sponsor, Koder who sponsored our healthy snacks and wine, Bixel Exchange for helping create awareness, Github for hooking it up with stickers, and Midstage Ventures and Brazilian Startup Super Cooler for being our super-chilled beer sponsors.
Thanks to some generous community members we also had MyIntent bracelet give aways and every attendee received at least 1 pair of headphones.
The goals of the event were to spark curiosity, facilitate relevant collisions, and build community. Festivities kicked off at 6:20pm with a few words to help frame the night. Tutorials kicked off at 6:30p with
- Animated Infographics: Nancy Casanova, Information Architect and Social Strategy at Southern California Edison.
- Styling Maps with Mapbox Studio: Omar Ureta, Design Technologist at theworksLA
- Relationship Management & Connecting with People: Shmel Graham, Director of Operations Innovation Team at Office of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti.
Halfway through we took a 30 minute networking break where old and new friends connected and explored ways to collaborate. The business card table called for attendees to add a sticky note with a skill or service offered AND/OR needed as a way to help facilitate networking.
During the break Super Cooler served 2-min chilled beer and demo'ed their product, and the snack room filled with chatting while attendees enjoyed mandarins, mango chunks, bananas, popcorn, cupcakes, other snacks and wine.
The second half of the tutorials included:
- Working with Github: Machiko Yasuda, Product Engineer at GOAT.
- API and You - An Uber Story: Angello Pozo, Software Developer at Hello Sougi.
- System Maintenance and Architecture: Tamara Gagliardi, System Engineer in DNS and Load Balancers at Yahoo.
Now looking ahead - version3 of the DTLA Show And Tell will be on Tuesday October 10th at General Assembly DTLA (official event page coming soon). For those of you interested in helping create and enhance this experience, you can sign-up as a volunteer to be part of the social media team, help with operations and logistics, or be considered as a presenter.
The format for v3 will be 6 tutorials total: 4 technical, 1 on relationship management and nurturing networks, and 1 on the intersection of tech and professional development.
Current topics being pursued are:
- Internet of Things
- Machine Learning
- Data Analysis
- Search Engine Optimization
- Virtual Reality
Sponsorship opportunities will be coming soon.
Thanks again to everyone who attended and helped make this happen.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with